Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Children voices express concern over gender discrimination

I even dance in my dreams, I love dancing, it is my passion, but my parents and brother don't like my passion, they say I would not be able to dance after Class 10. But why? These is the question of Tammana, a girl presently in tenth grade in a Bhopal school. Varhsa another girl studying in eighth grade questions "why there is difference between girl and boy child". She argues: "When my brother comes to house from outside my mom asks me to give him water and food. But will that be same when I come from outside? Will my brother be asked to help me with food and water?" These are voices of girls who are part of school forums in Bhopal city. Naveen, Khushi, Deepti and Anjana are also members of school forums and by writing poems, stories have brought out the issue of child labour, impact of poverty on children, environment and also reflecting about new things they are learning in school. It is not only gender discrimination children do raise voices on issues which they feel matter, like environment cleanliness, hygiene, punishment but gender issues do come in as strong voices and which show the silent existence of gender discrimination which exists.

No comments: